Primary Menu

There has not been a “second-wave” of COVID-19 in Nevada, even though there has been an uptick in cases reported recently. That’s according to state officials overseeing Nevada’s response to COVID-19. Caleb Cage, the state’s COVID-19 response director, and Julia Peek, deputy administrator of the Division of Public and Behavioral Health’s Community Health Services held a virtual briefing Thursday where they said the rise in cases could be attributed to more testing and larger lab capacities. Officials are continuing to prepare in case there is another rise in cases, though they say that hasn’t happened. So far, Nevada hospitals are not being overwhelmed with cases, they said, and the state’s comprehensive response plan is still moving forward. That plan includes stockpiling more personal protective personal equipment, or PPE. There will also be an increase in the number of contact tracers, with more than 200 expected to start this weekend.