“The Main Event” takes the spotlight tonight in downtown Las Vegas. The Nevada Department of Transportation’s (NDOT) third and final major phase of work for Project Neon – a nearly $1 billion 4-mile-long widening of Interstate 15 from the U.S. 95 interchange to Sahara Avenue – is nicknamed “The Main Event” since it’s the last and most impactful portion of construction. Upcoming closures and openings include the following:
Tuesday, March 6
• I-15 northbound closed from Sahara Avenue to Charleston Boulevard from 11 p.m., March 6 until 3 a.m., March 7.
• I-15 northbound lane restrictions between Sahara Avenue and D Street start tonight.
• Interstate 15 northbound to the U.S. Highway 95 southbound ramp will be closed from 9 p.m., March 6 until 5 a.m., March 7.
• Interstate 15 northbound to the U.S. Highway 95 northbound ramp will be closed from 12 a.m., March 7 until 2 a.m., March 7.
• Interstate 15 northbound off-ramp to Charleston Boulevard westbound will be closed from 9 p.m., March 6 until 6 a.m., March 7.
• Interstate 15 northbound off-ramp to D Street will be closed from 9 p.m., March 6 until 6 a.m., March 7.
• The new Martin Luther King Boulevard / Pinto Lane on-ramp to Interstate 15 southbound opened at 6 a.m., March 6.
• Interstate 15 southbound off-ramp to Charleston Boulevard reopened at 6 a.m., March 6.
• Interstate 15 northbound off-ramp to Charleston Boulevard eastbound will open 6 a.m., March 7.
Freeway Closure This Weekend (March 9-12)
• U.S. Highway 95 north and southbound will be closed between Martin Luther King and Las Vegas boulevards from 10 p.m., March 9 until 5 a.m., March 12.
Continuing Closures Through December 2018
· The ramp from U.S. Highway 95 southbound to Interstate 15 southbound will be reduced to one lane and detoured
· Martin Luther King Boulevard on-ramp to Interstate 15 southbound will remain closed.
· Frontage road between Rancho Drive and Martin Luther King Boulevard will remain closed.
Project officials are coordinating freeway access with first responders as well as the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, City of Las Vegas and Las Vegas Convention Visitors Authority (LVCVA), among others, for special events. Additionally, project staff is communicating and strategizing with FAST (Freeway and Arterial System of Transportation) about digital sign notifications as well as ramp and signal timing during Main Event closures. It will closely monitor freeway corridors and traffic signals through digital feed cameras, making real time adjustments as necessary, depending upon the ebb and flow of traffic.
Motorists should use caution while travelling through the work zone, heed construction signage, and take alternate detour routes, if possible. Check the Project Neon website (NDOTProjectNeon.com) or Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter pages (@NDOTProjectNeon) for up to date information. There is also a free smart phone app available, plus a hotline available in both English and Spanish at: 702-293-NEON (6366). NDOT works to inform the public about planned highway restrictions, but unscheduled construction changes, closures and restrictions are possible due to weather or other factors. For the latest state highway conditions, visit nvroads.com or call 511 before driving.