President Donald Trump has told the leaders of Mexico and Canada that he will not immediately pull out of the North American Free Trade Agreement. That came just hours after administration officials said he was considering a draft executive order to do just that. The White House made the surprise announcement Wednesday in a read-out of calls involving Trump, Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. The White House said “the leaders agreed to proceed swiftly, according to their required internal procedures,” to work on renegotiating the deal. Trump said he believes “the end result will make all three countries stronger and better.”
President Donald Trump says the leaders of Canada and Mexico called him asking the United States to remain a partner in the North American Free Trade Agreement and that he agreed. But in a post Thursday morning on his verified Twitter account, the president said his positive response was “subject to the fact that if we do not reach a fair deal for all, we will then terminate NAFTA.” He said relationships between the U.S. and Mexico and Canada are “very good – deal very possible.” The White House had released a statement late Wednesday saying only that Trump assured the two leaders the U.S. wouldn’t bolt NAFTA at this time. Campaigning for the presidency last year, Trump repeatedly assailed NAFTA, saying it was a bad deal for America. He also pledged that if elected, he would dump it.