KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — An official in eastern Congo says at least 34 people are dead including many women and children after a nighttime attack.
Provincial interior minister Jean Julien Miruho says the massacre took place in Mutarule late Friday.
The attackers also targeted a church where parishioners had been praying, though local officials said they believed the violence was related to disputes over cattle. At least 27 others were wounded.
Miruho said the identity of the assailants was unknown, though survivors blamed a little known rebel group from Burundi known as the FNL.
Eastern Congo is home to a myriad of armed groups and militias, many vying for control of the region’s vast mineral resources.
The military successfully sidelined one major rebel group – M23 – last year though many others remain active.